Studying abroad can be a thrilling and exciting experience! If it is your first time leaving your home country to start a new chapter of your life, either to pursue a bachelor’s degree or master’s program, it can be a most rewarding experience to look forward to with a good plan and strategy in place. Studying abroad offers a unique experience to international students; providing them with the opportunity to meet new people, learn a new language, integrate into a different culture, and see the world through a more diverse lens. A lot of international students are faced with the fear of the unknown or misbelief in succeeding while abroad for their higher education. With proper preparation and planning, international students irrespective of their background or ethnicity can thrive in whatever country they choose to pursue their higher education.
While deciding on a country might be easy, a majority of international students face several challenges in their quest to find the right university. Without proper research and planning, students end up getting frustrated, returning back home or dropping out of school. When choosing to study abroad, there are a number of factors you should consider before embarking on your journey. The under-listed factors can help guide you in your decision making when looking to study abroad.
These Are 5 Factors for International Students to Consider When Looking to Study Abroad:
1. DIVERSITY: Diversity plays a huge role when choosing the right university for your bachelor’s or master’s degree program. It is imperative to consider countries and universities/colleges that have a good percentage of international students in their community. As an international student, you would feel included, supported, and welcomed knowing there are like-minded individuals around you seeking greater opportunities.
2. UNIVERSITY RANKING AND REPUTATION: International students yearly, seek out admission into top universities across the globe. The competition to get accepted into some of the most globally recognized universities is a yearly battle. However, not all students have to aim for the most expensive schools abroad as there are some relatively affordable schools that offer great programs as well. Understanding what you wish to achieve can help you ask questions such as – Is the course I wish to study available at this university and what has been the student success rate? Also, what is the university’s ranking among others in the country? Carrying out proper research and focusing on your objective and personal goals can help you in choosing the right university.
3. LANGUAGE: “When you talk to a man in his language, it goes to his heart” – Nelson Mandela. Taking out time to learn the language of the country you wish to migrate to can help you blend in with the local and native speakers of the country. You do not have to do this at an expert level, but, you can take a few minutes each day to get prepared for your new experience by learning new words daily.
4. SAFETY: When searching out a university, you want to be certain there are no major safety concerns. Parents want to be assured that their children would feel safe and secure in whatever environment they choose to study in. It is essential that the issue of safety in the country is researched and most of all, campus safety is also considered.
5. JOB OPPORTUNITIES: Seek out co-op, internship, and job opportunities ahead of your arrival. Ensure there are work-study permits that allow you to make some money on the side as you pursue your studies.
At Maple Canadian College, (MCC), we provide a Pre-University pathway program that provides students the opportunity of obtaining the O.S.S.D, (Ontario Senior School Diploma) right here in their home country. With the O.S.S.D, students gain guaranteed admission into top universities worldwide.
For more information on this, visit our contact page and give us a call or send us an email.
Follow us on Instagram: @maplecanadiancollege Linkedin: Maplecanadiancollege Twitter: Maplecanadiancollege